Resource Menu

posted by Guest at Jun 22, 2005 9:24 AM
Dear Bruno,

Hummm… yes! After checking, I think that your problem is due to the free-java-sdk and the Debian and more exactly the compilation of VTK and its Java Wrapping.

The Linux binary package that we have included in Cassandra release has been compiled for Suse 9.1 and a version 2.4 of the kernel. We have done the compilation of the JNI layer (that make the link between Java and VTK) with a JDK SUN 1.5.

I am scared that one must recompile VTK on the specific Debian with the free-java-sdk.

I will see what we can do on our side. However, we have only one old computer under Debian and we don't know if we will have the time to compile it fo rthe community in the next weeks.

However, you can try your self to compile VTK on your system. The VTK sources are available on the Kitware site. Under Linux, their is no specific settings, excepted that you must specify that the compilation include "java".

Courage, the compilation of VTK can be quite long.

If you have troubles about this, you can contact us.

If you have an VTK library already installed on your system, you can use it directly. You have just to modify the paths related to VTK in the run.py script.

Best,

The Artenum's team.

posted by Guest at Jun 17, 2005 3:10 AM
You are right, the second time I have lauched the jython run.py command, these messages didn't appear. And I can see the files in the directory you mentionned :

$ ls ThirdPart/jython-2.1/cachedir/packages/
ArtenumPipeLineManager.pkc  jsse.pkc         rt.pkc
Cassandra.pkc               JyConsole$1.pkc  skinlf$1.pkc
charsets.pkc                JyConsole.pkc    skinlf.pkc
DedaleGraph$1.pkc           jython$1.pkc     sunjce_provider$1.pkc
DedaleGraph.pkc             jython$2.pkc     sunjce_provider.pkc
dnsns$1.pkc                 jython.pkc       sunpkcs11.pkc
dnsns.pkc                   ldapsec.pkc      sunrsasign.pkc
jce$1.pkc                   localedata.pkc   vtk$1.pkc
jce.pkc                     packages.idx     vtk.pkc
jsse$1.pkc                  rt$1.pkc

I left the program running several minutes at 100% CPU but I get the impression I could let it for hours… without results.

Just a word concerning my config. I run a debian distribution and I use the free-java-sdk java environment which is not based on sun java. It can be the problem...

Bruno.

posted by Guest at Jun 17, 2005 2:27 AM
Dear Bruno,

I have missed your second message, sorry.

These messages are normal when you launch Cassandra the FIRST TIME. Jython builds an indexation base of all loaded/called jar files. Let this phase finish. The disk space used is very small and the directory is built in the ./ThirdPart/jython2.1/cachedir/ folder.

The next launchs will be faster and with a lower CPU cost.

Best regards,

The Artenum Team.

posted by Guest at Jun 17, 2005 2:20 AM
Dear Bruno,

The reason of the failure is probably the fact that you do not use the right launch script. The run.sh script is here indicative and paths may have to be adjusted. The main launch scripts are run.jar and run.py.

To launch Cassandra, you should try one of the following commands:

java -jar run.jar

This file is directly self-executable under Windows and Mac OS-X. This is the best and the simplest way to launch Cassandra.

This file is generated from the run.py script using the Jython to Java compiler Jythonc. You can also launch Cassandra, you can also try the following command:

jython run.py

In this approach, you can edit and adjust the library paths according to the specific needs of your installation.

Both commands should work.

Thanks for this feedback, we will change/remove the run.sh file in the next update of Cassandra.

Best regards,

The Artenum Team.

posted by Bruno Jobard at Jun 17, 2005 2:20 AM
I also tried to launch it via the run.py script, but here is what it produces:
$ jython run.py
*sys-package-mgr*: processing new jar, '/home/bjobard/Softs/Cassandra/ThirdPart/jython-2.1/jython.jar'
*sys-package-mgr*: processing new jar, '/home/bjobard/Softs/Cassandra/ThirdPart/vtk/vtk42-linux/bin/vtk.jar'
*sys-package-mgr*: processing new jar, '/home/bjobard/Softs/Cassandra/Cassandra.jar'

and then the CPU stays at 100% forever and I have to kill it manually.

posted by Bruno Jobard at Jun 17, 2005 1:56 AM
Hi,

I gave a try to Cassandra under Linux. I could not lauch it. Here is what I observed.

First I had to convert the run.sh script to a unix encoded script with the 'dos2unix run.sh' command. (before that I was obtaining absurd errors). The developers should provide already converted scripts.

Below is the trace. Does someone know where is the problem?

$ pwd /home/bjobard/Softs/Cassandra

$ ls Cassandra.jar Data LICENSE.txt README run.py Script config.properties Doc plugin run.jar run.sh ThirdPart

$ sh run.sh

/home/bjobard/Softs/Cassandra/ThirdPart/vtk/vtk42-linux/bin/:
/home/bjobard/Softs/Cassandra/ThirdPart/vtk/vtk42-linux/bin/:/home/bjobard/Softs/Cassandra/ThirdPart/vtk/vtk42-linux/lib/vtk/:/home/bjobard/Softs/Cassandra/ThirdPart/vtk/vtk42-linux/bin/:
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: com.artenum.jyconsole.util.PropertyLoader not found in [file:/home/bjobard/Softs/Cassandra/Cassandra.jar, file:/home/bjobard/Softs/Cassandra/ThirdPart/vtk/vtk42-linux/bin/, file:/vtk.jar, file:/home/bjobard/Softs/Cassandra/./plugin/, file:/home/bjobard/Softs/Cassandra/./jython.jar, file:/home/bjobard/Softs/Cassandra/./]
   at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass (URLClassLoader.java:748)
   at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass (ClassLoader.java:359)
   at java.lang.ClassLoader$1.loadClass (ClassLoader.java:1282)
   at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass (ClassLoader.java:303)
   at java.lang.VirtualMachine.createClass (VirtualMachine.java:116)
   at com.artenum.cassandra.Cassandra.main (Unknown Source)
   at java.lang.VirtualMachine.invokeMain (VirtualMachine.java)
   at java.lang.VirtualMachine.main (VirtualMachine.java:108)
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: com.artenum.cassandra.pipeline.SimplePipeLineManager not found in [file:/home/bjobard/Softs/Cassandra/Cassandra.jar, file:/home/bjobard/Softs/Cassandra/ThirdPart/vtk/vtk42-linux/bin/, file:/vtk.jar, file:/home/bjobard/Softs/Cassandra/./plugin/, file:/home/bjobard/Softs/Cassandra/./jython.jar, file:/home/bjobard/Softs/Cassandra/./]
   at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass (URLClassLoader.java:748)
   at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass (ClassLoader.java:359)
   at java.lang.ClassLoader$1.loadClass (ClassLoader.java:1282)
   at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass (ClassLoader.java:303)
   at java.lang.VirtualMachine.createClass (VirtualMachine.java:116)
   at com.artenum.cassandra.Cassandra.Cassandra (Unknown Source)
   at com.artenum.cassandra.Cassandra.main (Unknown Source)
   at java.lang.VirtualMachine.invokeMain (VirtualMachine.java)
   at java.lang.VirtualMachine.main (VirtualMachine.java:108)